Master of Fine Arts (MFA)
Work, critique, and network with artists from around the world. Click here to apply.
Whether you want to exhibit and lecture about your work, teach, write a book, or create an artist-run collective, MECA’s Master of Fine Arts Program encourages each student to think across traditional academic boundaries and challenge their art practice and intellectual curiosity. Studio-based, with renowned faculty, visiting artists and carefully selected graduate advisors, the curriculum emphasizes the intersection of studio production, individual research, critical analysis, and travel to important and inspiring locations. This structure promotes the development of a professional lifelong practice. From the first moment of your first eight-week summer intensive, you will experience a truly individualized education and focus on becoming an inventive, skilled, self-disciplined, engaged maker in the world and in your own community.
Choose from our Low or Full Residency options and base your studio wherever you decide— whether it’s on campus in Portland, Maine; or in our Low Residency Program anywhere in the world.
- Shelby Wynne Richardson ’17. Photograph by Kyle Dubay.
- Katie Coleman, MFA ’20. Photograph by Lauren Berg.
- Image of Brian Downs ’19 in his studio. Photograph by Erin Little.
- Inass Yassin ‘19, Installation in Jerusalem Lives the inaugural exhibition of The Palestinian Museum in Birzeit, Palestine.
- Steven Kelly, MFA ’20. Photograph by R. Katz.