Welcome to MECA! Here you will find the information and resources available to you as a student with documented disability.
Maine College of Art (MECA) is committed to providing equal access for students with disabilities. Under the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and its amendments, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, MECA provides reasonable accommodations to qualified students with documented disabilities. We encourage self-advocacy and early identification of need. Students can expect to work collaboratively with the disability services coordinator to develop an individualized plan for specific accommodations.
I look forward to working with you to achieve your academic goals here at MECA!
Joanne Benica, M.S., CRC
Disability Services Coordinator
Brief Step by Step Guide
- Admitted or enrolled at Maine College of Art
- Student discloses need for services/accommodations to the Disability Services Coordinator
- Student meets with Disability Services Coordinator to start the interactive process which will include reviewing procedures, documentation guidelines and discussion of reasonable accommodations
- Student completes application and waiver form
- Student provides documentation
- Coordinator reviews student’s request with documentation
- Implementation and completion of accommodations or appeals process
- Each semester, student requests an accommodation memo and notifies faculty of approved accommodation needs
Service & Emotional Support Animals
MECA has published the following: Guidelines: Service Animals [PDF] and Guidelines: Emotional Support Animals [PDF]. Please contact the disability services coordinator with questions and specific provider forms required for emotional support animals in residence halls.