If your need is urgent, please do one of the following:
If your emergency merits calling 911, always call 911 first, then call the appropriate MECA emergency phone. All 3 emergency MECA phones are carried by a MECA staff member 24/7. If you do not reach some one on the first call, leave your name, number, location and short description of the emergency. A staff member will call you back as soon as possible. The College recommends saving all 3 numbers in your cell phone for emergencies. Email contacts are for non emergency concerns only.
- Call 911
- Call 207.774.HELP (207.774.4357) for 24-hour crisis support
- Visit your local emergency department. The two closest to MECA are:
- Mercy Hospital, 144 State Street, at the corner of State and Spring Streets, 207.879.3265
- Maine Medical Center Emergency Department, 62 Bramhall Street, 207.662.0111
- MECA Facilities: 207-671-5607
- For facilities emergencies, please call 207-671-5607. Emergencies include incidents such as loss of heat in the winter, major leaks, or power failure. This phone will reach a member of the Facilities staff.
- For non emergency issues, please email email@example.com. Non-emergency issue include problems such as minor leaks, small spills or minor damages.
- MECA Security: 207-415-8446
- For security related concerns in the Porteous Building or 380 Cumberland, please call 207.415.8446. Emergency concerns examples are incidents such as a suspicious person in the building, or a non-MECA community member trying to gain entry to a MECA building. This phone will reach the Security Officer at the front desk of the Porteous building; will be on call.
- For non-emergency concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Non-emergency concerns include suggestions for improving security or past concerns that are not an active threat.
- MECA Student Life (Red Phone): 207-228-3474
- For emergencies in the Residence Halls, or if you are unsure of which number to call, please call 207-228-3474. Emergency concerns include situations such as a student mental health crisis, Residence Hall lock outs, or suspicious persons in the Residence Halls. This phone will reach a member of the Student Life Staff.
- For non-emergency student or Residence Hall concerns, please email email@example.com. Non-emergency concerns include roommate conflicts and questions about campus resources.
Accidents, Crime, Suspicious Behavior
Please report accidents, criminal or suspicious behavior as soon as possible to one of the following:
- Police or Emergency Services: 911
- Portland Police Non-Emergency Services: 207.874.8575
- MECA Student Life Emergency Phone: 207.228.3474
Please fill out a Universal Incident Report Form for accidents, crime, or suspicious behavior in or around a campus building.
To report a non-emergency concern (attendance issues, failing grades, time management issues, lack of study skills, lack of direction/motivation, financial difficulty, drug abuse, or other personal problems) about a student, please fill out a MECA Alert. This information helps us provide support and early intervention to a student who is experiencing difficulties.
Injured or sick?
Here is a list of hospitals and urgent care near campus. If you need a taxi voucher to get to the hospital or urgent care, go to the Student Life Office or call 207.228.3474 for assistance.
Hotlines, Emergencies, and Help
- Maine HIV/STD Hotline: 800.851.2437
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800.273.TALK
- Opportunity Alliance Crisis Services: 207.774.HELP (4357), located nearby at 50 Monument Square
- Poison Control Center: 800.222.1222
- Southern Maine Sexual Assault Response Info and Hotline: 800.313.9900