If it is after hours and your need is urgent, please do one of the following:
- Call 911
- Call 207.774.HELP (207.774.4357) for 24-hour crisis support
- Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800.273.8255 (800.273.TALK).
- Text CONNECT to 741741 from anywhere in the USA at any time about any type of crisis.
- Visit your local emergency department. The two closest to MECA are:
- Mercy Hospital, 144 State Street, at the corner of State and Spring Streets, 207.879.3265
- Maine Medical Center Emergency Department, 662 Bramhall Street, 207.622.0111
To report a non-emergency concern about a student, please file a MECA Alert.
Hotlines, Emergencies, and Help
- Maine HIV/STD Hotline: 800.851.2437
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800.273.TALK
- Opportunity Alliance Crisis Services: 207.774.HELP (4357), located nearby at 50 Monument Square
- Poison Control Center: 800.222.1222
- Southern Maine Sexual Assault Response Info and Hotline: 800.313.9900
MECA's Counseling & Wellness
MECA counselors are committed to helping students achieve their personal and academic goals and enhance their self-understanding. They provide students with support and encouragement in a nonjudgmental, caring setting, where diversity is respected and celebrated. They can also assist with referrals to doctors, therapists, and other off-campus resources.
All BFA, MFA, and MAT students are eligible for free and confidential counseling at MECA. The best way to schedule an appointment is to email email@example.com and suggest some convenient days and times to meet.
Additional On-Campus Resources
- Counseling & Wellness: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Financial Aid: Email Carri Frechette, cfrechette@MECA.edu with a question or to schedule an appointment
- Registrar: Email Anne Dennison, adennison@MECA.edu with a question about your academic schedule or to schedule an appointment
- Residential Education and Housing: Email housing@MECA.edu, or call 207.699.5067 during office hours, or 207.776.4176 from 9am—7pm
- Student Health Insurance: Email email@example.com about Student Health Insurance or to waive insurance coverage
- Student Life: Want to get involved in a student club? Have a question or a concern and you aren’t sure who to ask? Stop by the Student Life Office (near the Café) or email studentlife@MECA.edu
- Support for Students with Disabilities: Email Joanne Benica, disabilityservices@MECA.edu
- Title IX Coordinator: Beth Elicker, Executive Vice President of the College, is the Title IX Coordinator. To report any form of sexual misconduct, call or email her at 207.699.5045 or belicker@MECA.edu
- Tutoring and Academic Support: Email Heather Harvey, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- Brighton First Care, 335 Brighton Ave, specializes in minor injuries for quick care, 207.662.8111
- Center for Grieving Children offers bereavement services to multiple age groups. 207.775.5216.
- Family Crisis Services offers 24-hour free confidential support, advocacy, and resources for those affected by relationship abuse. 866.834.4357
- Frannie Peabody Center for HIV/AIDS info and assistance, 207.774.6877
- Health and Human ServicesInfo, call 211
- Narcotics Anonymous
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, 800.273.TALK
- Planned Parenthood, 443 Congress Street, affordable women and men’s health care, birth control, std testing & treatment, lgbt services, pregnancy testing and services, 207.797.8881
- Portland Police Department, call 911 for emergencies or 207.874.8575 for non-emergencies
- Portland Recovery Community Center, 486 Forest Avenue, offers addiction recovery services and support, 207.553.2575
- Sexual Assault Response Services of Southern Maine (SARSSM), 24-hour free confidential crisis response, support, and advocacy for anyone affected by sexual assault, stalking, or sexual harassment: 800.774.3613
- Tobacco Free Help, 800.207.1230
Go Ask Alice!
Go Ask Alice is a health question-and-answer site from Columbia University developed for college students to ask questions about alcohol, sexuality, sexual relationships, emotional health, and myriad other topics.
Half of Us Mental Health Information
National website developed for college students by MTV in conjunction with mental health providers. You can search topics and watch videos on topics such as bipolar and eating disorders, depression, anxiety, cutting, suicide, drugs, and alcohol.
Student Health Insurance
MECA students are required to have health insurance, and all full-time enrolled BFA, MFA, and MAT students are eligible for the plan. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
If you are a MECA student and need your insurance card through the student health insurance plan we offer, please follow this instructions:
Need your Insurance Card? Go online!
To create an account with Wellfleet and to access your insurance information:
- Go to this page: the Maine College of Art page on the Wellfleetstudent.com site
- Click on the menu button in the upper right hand corner
- Click on “My Account”.
- Click on and follow the steps to “Create a New Account”.