"Problems do not go away. They must be worked through, or else they remain forever a barrier to the growth and development of the spirit." —M. Scott Peck, MD
MECA counselors are committed to helping students achieve their personal and academic goals and enhance their self-understanding. They provide students with support and encouragement in a non-judgmental, caring setting, where diversity is respected and celebrated.
Counseling is free and confidential at MECA. Office hours are available every weekday as well as Saturdays. The best way to schedule a counseling appointment is to email firstname.lastname@example.org. These emails are directed to Sheila Geant, Coordinator of Counseling & Wellness, who will reply. Please include a few days and times that would be convenient for you to meet.
Some reasons students seek counseling
- Anxiety and stress
- Adjustment problems
- Grief and loss
- LGBTQIA+ issues
- Relationship problems
- Substance use/misuse
Counseling Services at MECA
- Mental health assessment
- Individual, couples, and group counseling
- Crisis intervention
- Consultation with members of the MECA community, family, providers
- Referrals to appropriate resources and local providers
The 2021 counseling team consists of two licensed counselors, three counseling interns, and one social work intern:
Sheila Geant, LCPC
Coordinator of Counseling & Wellness
In an emergency, you may do any of the following, depending on the nature and severity of your concern:
- If you live on campus, consult a Resident Advisor.
- Call the local crisis line: 774.HELP (207.774.4357).
- Call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room.
- Text HOME to 741741 to reach the National Crisis Textline.
- Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800.273.8255.
- Call the Southern Maine Sexual Assault Response Info & Hotline: 800.313.9900.
- For LGBTQIA+ support, call Trans Lifeline: 877.565.8860 and/or Trevor Project : 866.488.7386.
- To file a MECA Alert about a student of concern, please go to meca.edu/alert to access the link to the form and instructions.
Wellness programming and opportunities are offered intermittently throughout the academic year at MECA. Individual wellness appointments may be scheduled by emailing email@example.com to discuss ways of improving wellness and lifestyle choices and related resources available in the Portland area.
Artwork: Hayley Cummings ’15