“Problems do not go away. They must be worked through, or else they remain forever a barrier to the growth and development of the spirit.” —M. Scott Peck, MD
MECA counselors are committed to helping students achieve their personal and academic goals and enhance their self-understanding. They provide students with support and encouragement in a nonjudgmental, caring setting, where diversity is respected and celebrated.
Counseling is free and confidential at MECA. Office hours are available every weekday as well as Saturdays. The best way to schedule a counseling appointment is to email email@example.com. These emails are directed to Sheila Geant, Coordinator of Counseling & Wellness, who will reply. Please include a few days and times that would be convenient for you to meet. MECA’s counseling offices are located near the Free Street entrance to Porteous across from the Admissions office.
- Anxiety and stress
- Adjustment problems
- Grief and loss
- LGBTQIA+ issues
- Relationship problems
- Substance use/misuse
Counseling Services at MECA
- Mental health assessment
- Individual, couples, and group counseling
- Crisis intervention
- Consultation with members of the MECA community, family, providers
- Referrals to appropriate resources and local providers
The 2020 counseling team consists of two licensed counselors, two counseling interns, and two social work interns:
Coordinator of Counseling & Wellness
Pete Franzen, LCPC-C
Social Work Intern
Social Work Intern
In an emergency, you may do any of the following, depending on the nature and severity of your concern:
- If you live on campus, consult a Resident Advisor.
- Call the local crisis line: 774.HELP (207.774.4357).
- Call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room.
- Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800.273.8225.
- Call the Sexual Assault Helpline: 800.871.7741.
- Call the Southern Maine Sexual Assault Response Info & Hotline: 800.313.9900.
- Text CONNECT to 741741 from anywhere in the USA at any time about any type of crisis.
- To file a MECA Alert about a student of concern, please go to meca.edu/alert to access the link to the form and instructions.
Wellness programming and opportunities are offered intermittently throughout the academic year at MECA. Individual wellness appointments may be scheduled by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss ways of improving wellness and lifestyle choices and related resources available in the Portland area.
Artwork: Hayley Cummings ’15