"Problems do not go away. They must be worked through, or else they remain forever a barrier to the growth and development of the spirit." —M. Scott Peck, MD
MECA&D counselors are committed to helping students achieve their personal and academic goals and enhance their self-understanding. They provide students with support and encouragement in a non-judgmental, caring setting, where diversity is respected and celebrated.
Counseling is free and confidential at MECA&D. Office hours are available every weekday. The best way to schedule a counseling appointment is to email email@example.com. These emails are directed to Sheila Geant, Coordinator of Counseling & Wellness, who will reply. Please include a few days and times that would be convenient for you to meet.
Some reasons students seek counseling:
- Anxiety and stress
- Adjustment problems
- Disordered eating
- Grief and loss
- LGBTQIA+ issues
- Relationship problems
- Substance use/misuse
Counseling Services at MECA&D:
- Mental health assessment
- Individual counseling
- Crisis intervention
- Consultation with members of the MECA&D community, family, providers
- Referrals to appropriate resources and local providers
The Fall 2021 Counseling Team consists of the following:
Sheila Geant, LCPC
Coordinator of Counseling & Wellness
Colleen Clark, LCPC-C
Edwin Van Bibber-Orr
In an emergency, you may do any of the following, depending on the nature and severity of your concern:
- If you live on campus, consult a Resident Advisor.
- Call the local crisis line: 774.HELP (207.774.4357).
- Call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room.
- Text HOME to 741741 to reach the National Crisis Textline.
- Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800.273.8255.
- Call the Southern Maine Sexual Assault Response Info & Hotline: 800.313.9900.
- For LGBTQIA+ support, call Trans Lifeline: 877.565.8860 and/or Trevor Project : 866.488.7386.
- To file a MECA&D Alert about a student of concern, please go to meca.edu/alert to access the link to the form and instructions.
Wellness programming and opportunities are offered intermittently throughout the academic year at MECA&D. Individual wellness appointments may be scheduled by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss ways of improving wellness and lifestyle choices and related resources available in the Portland area.
Artwork: Carla Nunez-Hernandez, Detail of Cacibajagua en Cauta, Digital Painting, 18" x 24", 2019.