“Problems do not go away. They must be worked through, or else they remain forever a barrier to the growth and development of the spirit.” —M. Scott Peck, MD
MECA counselors are committed to helping students achieve their personal and academic goals and enhance their self-understanding. They provide students with support and encouragement in a nonjudgmental, caring setting, where diversity is respected and celebrated.
Counseling is free and confidential at MECA. Office hours are available every weekday as well as Saturdays. The best way to schedule a counseling appointment is to email firstname.lastname@example.org. These emails are directed to Sheila Geant, Coordinator of Counseling & Wellness, who will reply. Please include a few days and times that would be convenient for you to meet. MECA’s counseling offices are located near the Free Street entrance to Porteous across from the Admissions office.
- Anxiety and stress
- Adjustment problems
- Grief and loss
- LGBTQIA+ issues
- Relationship problems
- Substance use/misuse
Counseling Services at MECA
- Mental health assessment
- Individual, couples, and group counseling
- Crisis intervention
- Consultation with members of the MECA community, family, providers
- Referrals to appropriate resources and local providers
The 2019–2020 counseling team consists of two licensed counselors, one counseling intern, and one social work intern:
Coordinator of Counseling & Wellness
Stacy Karp Mosher
Social Work Intern
In an emergency, you may do any of the following, depending on the nature and severity of your concern:
- If you live on campus, consult a Resident Advisor.
- Call the local crisis line: 774.HELP (207.774.4357).
- Call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room.
- Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800.273.8225
- Call the Southern Maine Sexual Assault Response Info & Hotline: 800.313.9900
- Text CONNECT to 741741 from anywhere in the USA at any time about any type of crisis.
- To file a MECA Alert about a student of concern, please go to meca.edu/alert to access the link to the form and instructions.
Wellness programming and opportunities occur throughout the academic year. Please email email@example.com to make suggestions and indicate areas of interest.