For a copy of Ruby Lerner’s Commencement speech, please click here.
You may find images from our 2016 Commencement Ceremony on Facebook. (All photography taken by Kyle Dubay). We also have an online gallery of every student working across stage, with an option to buy prints.
View the MFA Thesis work online here. View the BFA Thesis work online here.
Commencement was held on Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 10:00am at the State Theatre located at 609 Congress Street, Portland, Maine.
Download the 2016 Commencement invitation.
- Doors open to the public at 9:15am. No tickets are required.
- The commencement ceremony typically lasts two hours.
- A reception will immediately follow the commencement ceremony at Maine College of Art at 522 Congress Street, Portland, Maine.
- Parking information is below. Plan to arrive early to allow time to find parking.
- Any additional announcements for families and guests will be posted on this page. Questions may be directed to email@example.com.
How can I see my student’s work?
The Thesis Exhibition is open, free of charge to the public, starting on First Friday, May 6, 2016.
For 2016, we have a block at the Westin Portland Harbor View Hotel, also know as the Eastland Hotel at Congress Square Park. This location is very close to the State Theatre (2 minutes walking) and Maine College of Art (5 minutes walking). They are offering rates of $149 for single or double occupancy rooms, $169 for triple rooms, and $189 for quad rooms for both Friday night, 5/6, and Saturday night, 5/7. This block will be held until April 1, 2016.
To make reservations, call 1.855.811.0043 and ask for the MECA Graduation rate, or access their online booking system with the button below.
Other Lodging Options
Directions to Maine College of Art, Porteous Building:
From the North
Take Interstate 295 to Exit 7, Franklin Street
From the South
Take the Maine Turnpike northbound to Exit 44, Interstate 295. Follow Interstate 295 to Exit 7, Franklin Street
Directions to the Porteous Building at 522 Congress Street:
Stay on Franklin Street until you hit the top of the hill and take a right onto Congress Street.
You will pass City Hall on your right; continue on Congress several more blocks, past Monument Square. Porteous is the large building on the left with a brown awning.
There is a public parking garage at 45 Spring Street, on the right just past the Cumberland County Civic Center. To go to the Porteous Building from the parking garage, leave the parking garage through its rear exit, onto Free Street; the Porteous Building will be immediately across the street from you.
On-street 2-hour parking is available on Congress, Casco (directly across from the Porteous Building entrance) and surrounding streets.
Portland Parking Garages and Lots
- One City Center Parking Garage, Monument Square, 773.2761
- Midtown Parking Lot, 44 Fore St.
- Top of the Old Port Parking Lot, 119 Pearl & Congress Sts., 828.1212
- Temple Street Parking Garage, 11 Temple St., 772.5762
- Cumberland County Parking Garage, Newbury St., 871.8275
- Custom House Sq. Parking Garage, Pearl & Fore Sts.
- Fore Street Parking Garage, 439 Fore St., 772.7738
- Casco Bay Parking Garage, Commercial St. at Maine State Pier, 774.8653
- Cotton & Center Parking Lot, 57 Center St., 879.8983
- Public Market Parking Garage, 315 Cumberland Ave, 774.2829
- Spring St. Parking Garage, 45 Spring St., 874.2842
- Gateway Parking Garage, 181 High St., 761.1568
- Harbor Plaza Parking Garage, Union St., 775.3788
- Monument Square Parking Garage, Cumberland and Brown Sts.