Collect: MECA’s June 2017 Invitational Art Sale
Important Dates & Artist’s Info
Artists Drop-Off Work
+ Friday, June 23, 11-6pm
+ Saturday, June 24, 10-3pm
MECA’s Admissions Office
Please use MECA’s Free Street entrance; location is just to the left.
COLLECT Private Events
+ Wednesday, June 28th [not open to public] 5:30-7:30pm Porteous Society Reception
Artists are invited! Email Melissa Sullivan at firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP.
COLLECT Public Events
+ Thursday, June 29, 10am-6pm
+ Friday, June 30, 10am-6pm
+ Saturday, July 1, 10am-6pm
Artists Pick-Up (unsold work)
+ Friday, July 7, 11-6pm
+ Saturday, July 8, 10am-3pm
- Artists may submit up to five pieces in any media. One to two will likely be selected for inclusion, with up to five pieces for jewelers.
- Artists may choose to donate 100%, 75%, or 50% of the proceeds of each sale to benefit MECA student scholarships.
- Images should be submitted as part of the form below. Please submit jpg or png images with the file name “LastName.Title” (ex: Picasso.SketchofDancer). Pieces with the same title should be differentiated by number (ex: Picasso.BlueDancer1, Picasso.BlueDancer2, etc.). 90MB size limit per upload.
- If shipping, please note the Shipping Guidelines and enclose a completed Art Sale Artwork Release Form. 4.26.17 with your work.
Questions? Email Erin Hutton at email@example.com.
Deadline to register to participate is Friday, May 19, 2017
Work that does not follow these guidelines cannot be accepted.
- Each artist may enter up to five pieces in any media. One or two pieces will likely be selected per artist, with up to five for jewelers. Due to space limitations, work over six feet in any direction cannot be accepted.
- Work must have been created within the last two years.
- Please include title and artist’s name on the back of each piece.
- Maine College of Art reserves the right to refuse any work that is damaged, unfinished, not properly dry, deemed too fragile or hazardous to display, or is too large to properly store.
- Work intended for hanging must be properly framed and wired.
- Work must be picked up during the posted pick-up times.
ARTWORK RELEASE FORM
Each artist must sign an Artwork Release Form, which we will have available at the drop-off with the info on the pieces you are submitting. If you are having a third party drop off your work, or are shipping your work, you can print it out below.
Art Sale Artwork Release Form.6.21.17
Artists may ship their work for inclusion in the 2017 Collect Art Sale. Work MUST be received by June 21, 2017. All artists who ship must follow the guidelines stated below. Any work that does not adhere to the guidelines will not be accepted.
Only deliveries through FedEx and UPS will be accepted.
The shipper is responsible for shipping fees. FedEx (http://www.fedex.com/us/return-solutions/how-to-create-a-label/) offers a service through which you can create and print a return label, with no charges assessed until the label is used. UPS offers a similar service (http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/time/service/value_added/returns.htm) through which a prepaid return label is good for 100 days.
It is the shipper’s responsibility to make sure the item is correctly packed with sufficient insurance. Each shipment must include appropriate unpacking, handling and repacking instructions. MECA will not be held responsible for insufficiently insured items which arrive damaged either to or from MECA.
MECA Art Sale 2017
Maine College of Art
522 Congress St
Portland, ME 04101
PREPARING YOUR WORK
2-D Hanging Work — We cannot accept clip frames — all wall-hanging work needs to be appropriately wired.
3-D Work — Please provide specific instructions for any work that may require special installation.
What work should I submit?
MECA will consider all submissions with the exception of extremely fragile work, as noted in the guidelines. All work intended for hanging must be properly framed and/or wired. All work, such as oil paintings, must be dry.
How do I price my work?
All works are priced by the artist. Please contact us if you would like assistance with pricing and/or visit How to Price Art from ArtBusiness.com or How to Price Your Art from Found Myself Art.
What if I am currently represented by a gallery?
It is the responsibility of the artist to work with any galleries who represent you regarding their rules for participation in additional art sales.
What if I can’t make it to the drop-off/pick-up days?
Artists are allowed to have someone else drop off and pick up their work. You or your drop-off person must bring the Artwork Release Form.
How do I know if my work has sold?
We will attempt to email you if all your items have sold and you DO NOT need to pick up any unsold work, but cannot guarantee we will be able to do so within the tight time frame of the sale. If you DO NOT receive an email from us, plan to pick up work during the scheduled pick-up times.
When should I expect my commission check?
You should expect to receive a check approximately 30 days after the pick up period ends. All checks will be mailed to the address provided on your Participation Form.
Do I have to pay taxes on what I sell?
By participating in the Maine College of Art sale, you are offering your work on a fee basis rather than as an employee of MECA. All artists are obligated to pay all income, social security, Medicare and any other statutory-mandated taxes required by Federal and State laws that apply to the self-employed for any amount paid to them for the sale of their work.
Is my donation tax deductible?
Maine College of Art is a (501) (C3) nonprofit organization and therefore your contribution may be tax deductible. Please note that the IRS laws governing artists donating art are complex regarding how to determine the value of the deduction. Please always consult your tax advisor first if you have questions about your own personal tax situation.