COLLECT: MECA’s 2020 Summer Art Sale (June 18th – 21st)
This year’s annual COLLECT Art Sale will continue – online!
The COLLECT Art Sale raises vital funds to support our students and artists in the MECA community, which is especially critical during these difficult times. Featured work at COLLECT will be created by artists throughout the MECA community, including faculty, staff, alumni, current students, and friends and will be featured on an online gallery and art sale platform hosted by the college. ALL ARE ENCOURAGED TO PARTICIPATE!
Please read all guidelines carefully before submitting.
All submissions will be reviewed by the art sale curatorial team and we will let you know by late May what work we are accepting.
If you have any questions regarding the sale or your submissions, please email email@example.com
- Each artist may enter up to five pieces in any media. One or two pieces will likely be selected per artist, with up to five for jewelers. Due to delivery limitations, work over six feet in any direction cannot be accepted.
- We make decisions based on available space and other criteria determined by our curatorial and fundraising goals.
- Due to the volume of work we receive, NO CHANGES or SUBSTITUTIONS will be allowed. Your application form should specify all descriptions, commissions, and pricing for pieces you are making available for our consideration.
- Images must be sized at 72 dpi and 1,500 pixels on the longest side. Submitted images will be used to display the work online, and must accurately and professionally represent the artwork.
- All work submitted must be complete and available for purchase. High quality prints of illustrations and paintings are allowed on a select basis. Multiples of works (such as jewelry, prints, ceramics) are allowed, and the number of available items should be listed in the submission.
- Artists may choose to donate 100% or 50% of the proceeds of each sale to benefit MECA student scholarships.
- Maine College of Art reserves the right to refuse any work that is damaged, unfinished, not properly dry, deemed too fragile or hazardous, or too large to properly deliver.
ART DELIVERY POLICY
Details regarding this year’s art delivery policy are still being finalized, but we are looking at offering two options to artists/buyers:
- DIRECT SHIP (For easily shipped/non-local purchases): Buyers would purchase shipping through the online shop when buying a piece of art. MECA would then contact the artist and work with them to facilitate shipment to the buyer.
- DROP OFF/PICK UP (For local purchases): Depending on the state of the coronavirus and local circumstances, we are looking at scheduling artist drop off/buyer pick up slots sometime in July.
Further details will be confirmed leading up to the sale.
What work should I submit?
MECA will consider all submissions with the exception of extremely large works, as noted in the guidelines. All work submitted must be complete and available for purchase. High quality prints of illustrations and paintings are allowed on a select basis. Multiples of works (such as jewelry, prints, ceramics) are allowed, and the number of available items should be listed in the submission.
What if I am currently represented by a gallery?
It is the responsibility of the artist to work with any galleries who represent you regarding their rules for participation in additional art sales. We are happy to put a “Represented by…” or “Courtesy of..” credit in the item description if requested.
How do I know if my work has sold?
We will email you to notify you if your items have sold and to arrange delivery.
When should I expect my commission check?
You should expect to receive a check approximately 30 days after the sale period ends. All checks will be mailed to the address provided on your Submittable Entry Form.
Do I have to pay taxes on what I sell?
By participating in the Maine College of Art sale, you are offering your work on a fee basis rather than as an employee of MECA. All artists are obligated to pay all income, social security, Medicare and any other statutory-mandated taxes required by Federal and State laws that apply to the self-employed for any amount paid to them for the sale of their work.
Is my donation tax deductible?
Maine College of Art is a (501) (C3) nonprofit organization and therefore your contribution may be tax deductible. Please note that the IRS laws governing artists donating art are complex regarding how to determine the value of the deduction. Please always consult your tax advisor first if you have questions about your own personal tax situation.
2020 Important Dates & Artist Info
COLLECT Online Art Sale Dates
Open: Thursday, June 18th, 6PM
Close: Sunday, June 21st, 6PM
Silent Auction: Thursday, June 18th, 6-9PM
Preview: Thursday, June 4th – Thursday, June 18th
The COLLECT Online Art Sale will begin at 6PM on Thursday, June 18th and run through 6PM on Sunday, June 21st.
There is a Silent Auction scheduled for Thursday, June 18th from 6PM – 9PM.
This year’s COLLECT Online Art Sale will feature a Preview, where visitors can browse the MECA online gallery and art sale platform to view the entire selection of artwork available for purchase in this year’s sale.