COLLECT: MECA’s June 2019 Invitational Art Sale
2019 Important Dates & Artist Info
Artists Drop-Off Work
- Friday, June 21, 2019, 11am-6pm
- Saturday, June 22, 2019, 10am-3pm
- Artists at Work at MECA (First floor next to lobby. Entrance on Congress Street)
COLLECT Private Events
- Wednesday, June 26, 5:30–8pm, VIP Reception and Preview (not open to the public)
- Artists are invited. Email email@example.com to RSVP.
COLLECT Public Events
- Thursday, June 27, 10am–6pm
- Friday, June 28, 10am–6pm
- Saturday, June 29, 10am–6pm
Artists Pick-Up (unsold work)
- Friday, July 5, 11am–6pm
- Saturday, July 6, 10am–3pm
Please review all Artist’s Information and Guidelines before submitting this form.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Each artist may enter up to five pieces in any media. One or two pieces will likely be selected per artist, with up to five for jewelers. Due to space limitations, work over six feet in any direction cannot be accepted.
- We make decisions based on available space and other criteria determined by our curatorial and fundraising goals.
- Due to the volume of work we receive, NO CHANGES or SUBSTITUTIONS will be allowed. Your application form should specify all descriptions, commissions, and pricing for pieces you are making available for our consideration.
- Recommended Image Size: 72 dpi and 1,200 pixels on the longest side.
- Work must have been created within the last two years (some exceptions will be made).
- Artists may choose to donate 100% or 50% of the proceeds of each sale to benefit MECA student scholarships.
- At the drop-off, please include the artist’s name and title of the work on the back or attached to each piece.
- Maine College of Art reserves the right to refuse any work that is damaged, unfinished, not properly dry, deemed too fragile or hazardous to display, or too large to properly store.
- Work intended for hanging must be properly framed and wired.
- Work must be picked up during the posted pick-up times.
- We will notify you in April about what work(s) we select.
ARTWORK RELEASE FORM
Each artist must sign an Artwork Release Form, which we will have available at the drop-off with the info on the pieces you are submitting. If you are having a third party drop off your work, or are shipping your work, you can print it out below.
Artists may ship their work for inclusion in the 2019 COLLECT Art Sale. Work MUST be received by June 21, 2019. All artists who ship must follow the guidelines stated below. Any work that does not adhere to the guidelines will not be accepted. Only deliveries through FedEx and UPS will be accepted.
The shipper is responsible for shipping fees. FedEx offers a service through which you can create and print a return label, with no charges assessed until the label is used. UPS offers a similar service for prepaid return labels.
It is the shipper’s responsibility to make sure the item is correctly packed with sufficient insurance. Each shipment must include appropriate unpacking, handling and repacking instructions. MECA will not be held responsible for insufficiently insured items which arrive damaged either to or from MECA.
MECA Collect 2019
Maine College of Art
522 Congress St
Portland, ME 04101
PREPARING YOUR WORK
2-D Hanging Work — We cannot accept clip frames — all wall-hanging work needs to be appropriately wired.
3-D Work — Please provide specific instructions for any work that may require special installation.
What work should I submit?
MECA will consider all submissions with the exception of extremely fragile work, as noted in the guidelines. All work intended for hanging must be properly framed and/or wired. All work, such as oil paintings, must be dry.
What if I am currently represented by a gallery?
It is the responsibility of the artist to work with any galleries who represent you regarding their rules for participation in additional art sales.
What if I can’t make it to the drop-off/pick-up days?
Artists are allowed to have someone else drop off and pick up their work. You or your drop-off person must bring the Artwork Release Form.
How do I know if my work has sold?
We will email you if all your items have sold and you DO NOT need to pick up any unsold work. If you DO NOT receive an email from us, plan to pick up work during the scheduled pick-up times.
When should I expect my commission check?
You should expect to receive a check approximately 30 days after the pick up period ends. All checks will be mailed to the address provided on your Submittable Entry Form.
Do I have to pay taxes on what I sell?
By participating in the Maine College of Art sale, you are offering your work on a fee basis rather than as an employee of MECA. All artists are obligated to pay all income, social security, Medicare and any other statutory-mandated taxes required by Federal and State laws that apply to the self-employed for any amount paid to them for the sale of their work.
Is my donation tax deductible?
Maine College of Art is a (501) (C3) nonprofit organization and therefore your contribution may be tax deductible. Please note that the IRS laws governing artists donating art are complex regarding how to determine the value of the deduction. Please always consult your tax advisor first if you have questions about your own personal tax situation.