COLLECT: MECA's Summer Art Sale
MECA's annual COLLECT Summer Art Sale showcases work by MECA students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends. Proceeds benefit MECA’s Student Scholarship Fund as well as participating artists. The event supports emerging and established artists, raises critical funds for students scholarships, and offers the buyers original contemporary work to collect.
MECA’s 2021 COLLECT Summer Art Sale will take place online at shop.meca.edu, with the hybrid option to schedule small gallery tours in the Institute of Contemporary Art at MECA to view work for sale in-person if desired, in accordance with Maine CDC guidelines.
2021 MECA COLLECT Artist Open Call Deadline: Sunday, May 30
2021 MECA COLLECT Art Sale Dates:
- Thursday, June 17 - Sunday, June 20: In Person Preview at the ICA at MECA. Viewers can small group appointments for gallery tours.
- Thursday, June 17 - Thursday, June 24: Online preview of all work for sale at shop.meca.edu.
- Thursday, June 24: Virtual Opening Reception, Connect@COLLECT via Zoom (go to shop.meca.edu for Zoom information closer to event)
- Thursday, June 24 - Sunday, June 27: Online sale shop.meca.edu
This is a two part submission form, with one form for personal and contact information, and one form for work submissions. Both forms must be completed to participate in the sale.
Please read all guidelines carefully before submitting.
Submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis by the COLLECT Committee.
If you have any questions regarding the sale or your application, please email email@example.com
- Each artist may submit up to five pieces in any media for review. Due to delivery and display limitations, work over six feet in any direction cannot be accepted.
- Due to the volume of work we receive, NO CHANGES or SUBSTITUTIONS will be allowed after your work has been accepted. Small edits to fix typos or minor errors in work listing will be accepted if needed.
- Images should be sized at approximately 72 dpi and 1,500 pixels on the longest side. Submitted images will be used to display the work online, and must accurately and professionally represent the artwork. Low quality, blurry, or poorly lit photos of work will not be accepted.
- All work submitted must be complete and available for purchase. High quality prints of original illustrations and paintings are allowed on a select basis. Multiples of works (such as jewelry, prints, ceramics) are allowed, and the number of available items should be listed in the submission.
- Artists may choose to donate 100% or 50% of the proceeds of each sale to benefit MECA student scholarships.
- Maine College of Art reserves the right to refuse any work that is damaged, unfinished, not properly dry, deemed too fragile or hazardous, or too large to properly deliver/exhibit.
ART DELIVERY POLICY
This year we are offering two options for artwork delivery:
- DROP OFF/PICK UP (For local purchases and work that is displayed in the ICA Preview): Artists will drop off their work at MECA before the sale for the in person Preview at the ICA. Buyers will pick up sold works after the sale. Artists will pick up unsold works.
- DIRECT SHIP (For non-local purchases): Buyers purchase shipping through the online shop when buying a piece of art. Buyers will be notified of the sale by email and will be sent prepaid shipping labels to use for your sold works. Artists will be responsible for packaging and shipping all sold items within 3 business days of receiving the label.
IN PERSON PREVIEW AT THE ICA AT MECA
Last year, MECA launched the COLLECT Art Sale online for the first time as a response to the COVID-19 pandemic. While the sale will continue online this year, we are excited to expand to a hybrid model this year with small group in-person walkthroughs leading up to the sale to view some of the available artwork in the Institute of Contemporary Art at MECA. Please specify in your submission if you would like your work to be considered for the in person preview.
Friday, June 11, 11am-6pm and Saturday, June 12 10am-3pm, : Artwork Drop off at MECA
Tuesday, June 29 - Wednesday, June 30, 10am-3pm, and July 1, 2pm-6pm: Artist/Buyer Pick up at MECA
What work should I submit?
MECA will consider all submissions with the exception of extremely large works, as noted in the guidelines. All work submitted must be complete and available for purchase. High quality prints of illustrations and paintings are allowed on a select basis. Multiples of works (such as jewelry, prints, ceramics) are allowed, and the number of available items should be listed in the submission.
What if I am currently represented by a gallery?
It is the responsibility of the artist to work with any galleries who represent you regarding their rules for participation in additional art sales. We are happy to put a "Represented by..." or "Courtesy of.." credit in the item description if requested.
How do I know if my work has sold?
We will email you to notify you if your items have sold and to arrange delivery.
When should I expect my commission check?
You should expect to receive a check approximately 30 days after the sale period ends. All checks will be mailed to the address provided on your Submittable Entry Form.
Do I have to pay taxes on what I sell?
By participating in the Maine College of Art sale, you are offering your work on a fee basis rather than as an employee of MECA. All artists are obligated to pay all income, social security, Medicare and any other statutory-mandated taxes required by Federal and State laws that apply to the self-employed for any amount paid to them for the sale of their work.
Is my donation tax deductible?
Maine College of Art is a (501) (C3) nonprofit organization and therefore your contribution may be tax deductible. Please note that the IRS laws governing artists donating art are complex regarding how to determine the value of the deduction. Please always consult your tax advisor first if you have questions about your own personal tax situation.