Submissions are closed for the 2023 sale.
Our annual COLLECT art sale features work by MECA&D students, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends. This exhibition is a unique opportunity for artists to connect to potential collectors, while supporting MECA&D's Student Scholarship Fund.
We welcome both emerging and established artists to submit work for consideration.
This year, COLLECT will be both online at shop.meca.edu and in-person at the Institute of Contemporary Art at Maine College of Art & Design.
2023 COLLECT Art Sale Dates:
- June 14-20, 2023: Preview work online at shop.meca.edu
- June 17-20, 2023: In-Person Preview at the ICA at MECA&D (11am to 5pm)
- June 22-24, 2023: Art Sale Open Online and In Person (10am to 6pm)
This year's sale will open online at 11AM on Thursday, June 22 and will run through 6PM on Saturday, June 24. Artwork can be purchased via the sale website, shop.meca.edu or in person at the ICA (522 Congress St, Portland, ME 04101)
Applications are closed for this year's sale. This is a two part submission form, with one form for personal and contact information, and one form for work submissions. Both forms must be completed to participate in the sale.
Please read all guidelines carefully before submitting.
Submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis by the COLLECT Committee.
If you have any questions regarding the sale or your application, please email email@example.com
- Each artist may submit up to five pieces in any media for review. Due to display and storage limitations, work over six feet in any direction cannot be accepted.
- All accepted work will be displayed and sold online at shop.meca.edu.
- Due to the volume of work we receive, NO CHANGES or SUBSTITUTIONS will be allowed after your work has been accepted. Small edits to fix typos or minor errors in work listing will be accepted if needed.
- Images should be sized at approximately 72 dpi and 1,500 pixels on the longest side. Submitted images will be used to display the work online, and must accurately and professionally represent the artwork. Low quality, blurry, or poorly lit photos of work will not be accepted.
- All work submitted must be complete and available for purchase. Multiples of works (such as jewelry, prints, ceramics) are allowed, and the number of available items should be listed in the submission.
- Artists may choose to donate 100% or 50% of the proceeds of each sale to benefit MECA&D student scholarships.
- Maine College of Art & Design reserves the right to refuse any work that is damaged, unfinished, not properly dry, deemed too fragile or hazardous, or too large to properly store/exhibit.
2023 COLLECT ARTWORK CONDITIONS GOVERNING CONSIGNMENTS
- Review or download a copy of MECA&D's Artwork Conditions Governing Consignments
ART DELIVERY POLICY
This year we are offering two options for artwork delivery:
- DROP OFF/PICK UP (For local purchases): Artists will drop off their work at MECA&D before the sale.
- Buyers will pick up sold works after the sale. Artists will pick up unsold works.
- DIRECT SHIP (For non-local purchases): Buyers purchase shipping through the online shop when buying a piece of art.
Artist Drop Off
- Thursday, June 8, 2-6 pm
- Friday, June 9, 10-2 pm
- Saturday, June 10, 10-2 pm
Artist/Buyer Pick Up
- Wednesday, June 28, 10am -3pm
- Thursday, June 29, 10am -3pm
- Friday, June 30, 2pm - 6pm
What work should I submit?
We will consider all submissions with the exception of extremely large works, as noted in the guidelines. All work submitted must be complete and available for purchase. Multiples of works (such as jewelry, prints, ceramics) are allowed, and the number of available items should be listed in the submission.
What if I am currently represented by a gallery?
It is the responsibility of the artist to work with any galleries who represent you regarding their rules for participation in additional art sales. We are happy to put a "Represented by..." or "Courtesy of.." credit in the item description if requested.
How do I know if my work has sold?
We will email you to notify you if your items have sold and to arrange delivery.
When should I expect my commission check?
You should expect to receive a check approximately 30 days after the sale period ends. All checks will be mailed to the address provided on your Submission Entry Form.
Do I have to pay taxes on what I sell?
By participating in the Maine College of Art & Design sale, you are offering your work on a fee basis rather than as an employee of MECA&D. All artists are obligated to pay all income, social security, Medicare and any other statutory-mandated taxes required by Federal and State laws that apply to the self-employed for any amount paid to them for the sale of their work.
Is my donation tax deductible?
Maine College of Art & Design is a (501) (C3) nonprofit organization and therefore your contribution may be tax deductible. Please note that the IRS laws governing artists donating art are complex regarding how to determine the value of the deduction. Please always consult your tax advisor first if you have questions about your own personal tax situation.