Participate in COLLECT,
MECA&D's annual summer art sale.
Our annual COLLECT summer art sale features work by MECA&D students, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends. In addition to helping support participating artists, proceeds benefit MECA&D’s Student Scholarship Fund.
We welcome both emerging and established artists to submit work for consideration.
Collectors from all over love this opportunity to purchase original contemporary work and build relationships with MECA&D artists while knowing that they are also helping the College raise critical funds for students scholarships. This is a unique opportunity for you to get in front of a motivated community of buyers.
This year, the COLLECT summer art sale will be both online at shop.meca.edu and in-person at the Institute of Contemporary Art at Maine College of Art & Design.
We hope you'll join us!
2022 MECA&D COLLECT Artist Open Call:
Applications for artists to participate in the 2022 COLLECT sale are open Wednesday, March 2 through Sunday, May 8, 2022.
2022 MECA&D COLLECT Art Sale Dates:
June 15-22, 2022
Visit shop.meca.edu to view the COLLECT Online Art Sale.
June 23–25, 2022
The sale will open online at 9:00am on Thursday, June 23 and will run through 6:00pm on Saturday, June 25, 2022. Artwork can be purchased via the sale website, shop.meca.edu or in person at the ICA at MECA&D (522 Congress St, Portland, ME 04101).
This is a two part submission form, with one form for personal and contact information, and one form for work submissions. Both forms must be completed to participate in the sale.
Please read all guidelines carefully before submitting.
Submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis by the COLLECT Committee.
If you have any questions regarding the sale or your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Each artist may submit up to five pieces in any media for review. Due to display and storage limitations, work over six feet in any direction cannot be accepted.
- All accepted work will be displayed and sold online at shop.meca. edu. Due to limited space, only 1 or 2 of the accepted pieces will be selected from each participating artist to be displayed and sold in the in person COLLECT Art Sale Exhibition at the ICA at MECA&D (some exceptions will be made for artists with small work such as jewelry). Artists who are non-local and unable to drop off their work are also able to have their work listed solely on the online site. Please specify in your submission wither your work is available for in person and online or solely online.
- Due to the volume of work we receive, NO CHANGES or SUBSTITUTIONS will be allowed after your work has been accepted. Small edits to fix typos or minor errors in work listing will be accepted if needed.
- Images should be sized at approximately 72 dpi and 1,500 pixels on the longest side. Submitted images will be used to display the work online, and must accurately and professionally represent the artwork. Low quality, blurry, or poorly lit photos of work will not be accepted.
- All work submitted must be complete and available for purchase. High quality prints of original illustrations and paintings are allowed on a select basis. Multiples of works (such as jewelry, prints, ceramics) are allowed, and the number of available items should be listed in the submission.
- Artists may choose to donate 100% or 50% of the proceeds of each sale to benefit MECA&D student scholarships.
- Maine College of Art & Design reserves the right to refuse any work that is damaged, unfinished, not properly dry, deemed too fragile or hazardous, or too large to properly store/exhibit.
ART DELIVERY POLICY
This year we are offering two options for artwork delivery:
- DROP OFF/PICK UP (For local purchases): Artists will drop off their work at MECA&D before the sale. 1 or 2 of these pieces will be selected from each participating artist to be displayed and sold in the in person COLLECT Art Sale Exhibition at the ICA at MECA&D as well as oonline. The rest of the pieces will be stored at MECA&D and will be available online and to view by request. Buyers will pick up sold works after the sale. Artists will pick up unsold works.
- DIRECT SHIP (For non-local purchases): Buyers purchase shipping through the online shop when buying a piece of art. Buyers will be notified of the sale by email and will be sent prepaid shipping labels to use for your sold works. Artists will be responsible for packaging and shipping all sold items within 3 business days of receiving the label.
Artist Drop Off
- Thursday, June 9, 2-6 pm
- Friday, June 10, 10-2 pm
- Saturday, June 11, 10-2 pm
Artist/Buyer Pick Up
- Wednesday, June 29, 10am -3pm
- Thursday, June 30, 10am -3pm
- Friday, July 1, 2pm - 6pm
What work should I submit?
MECA&D will consider all submissions with the exception of extremely large works, as noted in the guidelines. All work submitted must be complete and available for purchase. High quality prints of illustrations and paintings are allowed on a select basis. Multiples of works (such as jewelry, prints, ceramics) are allowed, and the number of available items should be listed in the submission.
What if I am currently represented by a gallery?
It is the responsibility of the artist to work with any galleries who represent you regarding their rules for participation in additional art sales. We are happy to put a "Represented by..." or "Courtesy of.." credit in the item description if requested.
How do I know if my work has sold?
We will email you to notify you if your items have sold and to arrange delivery.
When should I expect my commission check?
You should expect to receive a check approximately 30 days after the sale period ends. All checks will be mailed to the address provided on your Submittable Entry Form.
Do I have to pay taxes on what I sell?
By participating in the Maine College of Art & Design sale, you are offering your work on a fee basis rather than as an employee of MECA&D. All artists are obligated to pay all income, social security, Medicare and any other statutory-mandated taxes required by Federal and State laws that apply to the self-employed for any amount paid to them for the sale of their work.
Is my donation tax deductible?
Maine College of Art & Design is a (501) (C3) nonprofit organization and therefore your contribution may be tax deductible. Please note that the IRS laws governing artists donating art are complex regarding how to determine the value of the deduction. Please always consult your tax advisor first if you have questions about your own personal tax situation.