These past few days have been filled with mourning as we try to make sense of the murder of 49 and the wounding of 53 in Orlando, Florida. No doubt the events in Orlando have impacted many members of the Maine College of Art community.
MECA is sending our thoughts to the loved ones and victims of the Orlando tragedy. In reflecting on this tragedy, we must come together as a community and stand in solidarity as we honor the lives lost and as we move forward into the future. We must not let the hate that caused these attacks be the behavior that defines us. We are a stronger society when we stand together arm in arm to resist hatred and intolerance in all its form. We stand together in support of the LGBTQA+ and Latinx communities affected by this tragedy.
Ways you can help, both in Florida and in Maine
- You can visit the American Red Cross’ website to find the nearest location to donate blood.
- There is a GoFundMe set up for the victims and their families.
- You can donate to Orlando hospitals on this page.
- The Center is an lgbt+ Orlando organization and is accepting donations.
- Orlando Youth Alliance is an lgbt+ organization and is accepting donations.
- You can donate to The Trans Youth Equality Foundation here in Portland, Maine.
- You can donate to EqualityMaine, Maine’s oldest and largest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) political advocacy organization.
If you need support
- We have a full list of local/Maine crisis support centers on our site.
- Opportunity Alliance Crisis Services: 207.774.HELP (4357), located nearby at 50 Monument Square in Portland, Maine.
- The Trevor Project: always open, for lgbt+ youth. Call them at 1.866.488.7386.
- Trans Lifeline: for transgender people. Call them at US: (877) 565.8860