Salt students come from all walks of life and believe in the power of storytelling. The Salt experience is intensive and focused. We are looking for students who arrive ready to work and who understand the importance of and possibilities inherent in the 15-week residency format of our program. We want students to bring their passion for documentary work to Salt to gain better storytelling skills, learn more about the field of documentary work, and be open to the new possibilities that the Salt program will present.
MECA’s community is as diverse and unique as each individual artist within it and each new student adds immeasurably to the vibrancy of our community. Applications are evaluated individually, with consideration given to the strength of the portfolio and academic achievement.
Applicants to the Salt Graduate Certificate in Documentary Studies must have an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution OR be currently enrolled as a junior or senior in good academic standing at an accredited college or university.
To apply please submit the following to the Admissions Office:
- Completed application form.
Please click on the following links to create or to login to your account:
The following application requirements should be uploaded through the online application:
1. Application Fee
There is a non-refundable $40 application fee ($60 for international students) payable by credit card on the online application or by mailing in a check.
2. An Essay
A 500—1000 word essay that describes your interest in documentary studies and which Salt track or tracks you intend to pursue while at MECA. (The four tracks are Radio, Short Film/Multimedia, Photography and Writing; note that writing cannot currently be taken on its own.) The essay should address any projects you might like to develop during your time at Salt and should include a brief introduction to any work you currently make.
3. A current resume
This should include education, employment history, exhibitions/publications, honors, etc.
4. Two Letters of Recommendation
These letters should come from from professional or educational references who can best speak to your abilities, work ethic, and character. Letter writers have the option of uploading their letter with your application or mailing the letter directly to our Admissions office. Please follow the instructions within the online application for upload instructions.
Mailed letters should arrive in an envelope, signed over the seal by the letter writer.
The following application requirement should be mailed to our Admissions office at
Maine College of Art, SALT at MECA Admissions, 522 Congress Street Portland, ME 04101
5. Current Transcripts
Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended. Transcripts will be considered official if they arrive at MECA in an envelope that is stamped and sealed by the issuing institution. The applicant can deliver transcripts in an unopened envelope stamped and sealed by the issuing institution. Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended are required, even if credit was not earned, in order to award financial aid.
The following application requirement should be completed at meca.slideroom.com:
IMPORTANT TO NOTE: We are not looking for “professional” or “distribution ready” pieces — gaining that level of achievement is one reason why students apply to Salt in the first place. We are interested in your potential and what type of stories you feel compelled to tell. Salt is looking for individuals with all levels of media ability, from beginning to advanced students.
Choose from ONE of the following:
- Radio: Two 3-5 minute audio stories OR one profile or audio postcard and one audio story. Submit one mp3 file per piece. (Note that .wav, .aiff, or .mp4s file formats are not accepted.) Files should be labeled as follows: FirstnameLastname_radio01.mp3, FirstnameLastname_radio02.mp3
- Short Documentary Film: Two 3-8 minute video documentaries OR one 2-5 minute profile and at least one 3-8 minute video story. File requirements: Images (up to 5MB each), Video (up to 250MB each)
- Photography: 20 cohesive photographs that explore one or two documentary topics or subjects. Captions are allowed but not required. If you would like to submit your images in book format, please do so using the PDF guidelines. File requirements: Images (up to 5MB each), PDFs (up to 10MB each)
Additional Application Notes
- Candidates may be interviewed by phone or Skype by Salt faculty or Staff from the Admissions Committee.
- Accepted international students must complete and submit the Declaration of Finances (DOF) form to the Admissions office.
- Students interested in being considered for financial aid should complete the FAFSA form.
Applications are being accepted beginning November 10, 2016. Applicants will be notified of a decision within three weeks of submitting a completed application. Only completed applications will be considered. Tracks fill up quickly. Admitted students whose applications are complete by the priority deadline will be given priority consideration for entry into their desired track(s).
Priority Application Deadline for Fall 2017 session
March 1, 2017 and on a rolling basis until July 1, 2017. Rolling admission is offered as space permits in each track.
Priority Application Deadline for Spring 2018 session
September 15, 2017 and on a rolling basis until December 1, 2017. Rolling admission is offered as space permits in each track.
Artist Credit – Header
- Molly Myers, Some Kind of Farm: Some Kind of Farmer, 2002