Half Time Receptionist
Maine College of Art (MECA) is seeking to hire a half-time receptionist. This is a job-share position for two full days and one ½ day per week. Responsibilities include greeting visitors to the College and providing them with accurate information; answering phones; monitor entrance to the College and provide front line security for appropriate access; assisting students, faculty, staff and the public in various ways; and administrative duties as assigned.
Maine College of Art recognizes that diversity is integral to the academic experience and strives to foster an inclusive culture defined by respect, equity and social responsibility. Successful candidates will have demonstrated experience in working with diverse populations, and supporting an inclusive and equitable community.
- Greet visitors and direct to MECA’s galleries and offices as appropriate.
- Support College enrollment by providing excellence in service to current and prospective students and their families.
- Provide security to the building by monitoring access to the building by students, employees and the public, ensuring visitors policies are followed, and coordinating with other employees, and very occasionally the police, when security issues arise.
- Answer phone calls and transfer to the appropriate department.
- Knowledge of College programs and protocols.
- Hire, schedule and manage figure models for the College.
- Other administrative duties as assigned.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Excellent judgement
- Experience working with technology
- Bachelor’s degree
- Previous experience in higher education
- Understanding and/or appreciation of art and design
Compensation: Hourly rate between $16–$18
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to Human Resources, Maine College of Art, 522 Congress St., Portland 04101.
Maine College of Art is an independent college of art and design located in the center of the thriving arts district of Portland, Maine. Established in 1882, the College currently enrolls approximately 440 students. In addition, about 1200 students take classes through MECA’s Continuing Studies program annually. MECA’s Joanne Waxman Library is an important public resource of art and design oriented books and periodicals for the region. The Institute of Contemporary Art at MECA is a vibrant site for the exhibition of contemporary art.
MECA is characterized by its intimate learning community, its interdisciplinary nature, and the breadth of its programs. It confers the degrees of Bachelor of Fine Arts, Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Fine Arts in Studio Art, and Salt Graduate Certificate in Documentary Studies. MECA employs approximately 100 faculty and staff. The College’s BFA program offers eleven majors and three minors. MECA’s MFA is an innovative two-year low residency program with approximately thirty students. The mission of the college is to educate artists for life: we believe in the transformational power of an arts education to serve as the foundation for a lifelong pursuit of personal and professional goals.
MECA combines a rigorous interdisciplinary curriculum, immersive studio practice, and wealth of professional development opportunities to provide an educational experience that embodies artistic excellence, civic engagement, and creative entrepreneurship. Maine College of Art is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges and the National Association of Schools of Art and Design, and is a member of the Association of Independent Colleges of Art and Design.
Maine College of Art does not to discriminate on the basis of gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, HIV status, race, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, or military/veteran’s status in its educational programs, admissions policies, employment policies, financial aid, or other College administered programs. Candidates from historically underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged to apply.