Maine College of Art is currently seeking an experienced professional to join its staff as Director of Marketing & Communications to oversee all external and internal marketing and communication functions that support enrollment and advance the institution. Under the direction of the Vice President of Institutional Advancement, the Director manages and executes advertising, public and media relations, publications, the website, and electronic communications. The Director works closely with Admissions, academic program directors as well as external partners, to develop and execute marketing and communications plans and strategies. The position is hands-on and requires demonstrated project management and graphic design experience.
The successful Director will be energetic and well organized and will be appreciative of the values and cultures within institutions of higher education. Maine College of Art recognizes that diversity is integral to the academic experience and strives to foster an inclusive culture defined by respect, equity and social responsibility. Successful candidates will have demonstrated experience in working with diverse populations, and supporting an inclusive and equitable community.
- Develop and execute integrated marketing and communication initiatives to position the College strategically with its diverse constituents and ensure that the College mission is reflected in all marketing and communications.
- Design a variety of publications and electronic communications produced in house and
direct the development, design, and production of all communications produced using
- Write, edit, proofread, and approve content for a variety of recruitment and campus
- Execute the Maine College of Art brand through all internal and external communications.
- Advise campus departments on use of the Maine College of Art brand.
- Develop and execute advertising and marketing strategies for prospective undergraduate, graduate, certificate and continuing education students in collaboration with department staff and senior leadership.
- Track and report results of advertising campaigns and initiatives.
- Enhance communications to alumni and friends through work on a variety of Development and Alumni Relations projects, including newsletters, electronic communications, fundraising solicitations, event invitations, and more.
- Work with a variety of campus constituents to develop effective communication materials and strategies; foster collaborative relationships with faculty, staff, and administration.
- Under the supervision of the Vice President and in consultation with Senior Leadership, coordinate the College’s response and messaging for crisis communications.
- Develop public relations and media strategy to expand coverage in local and regional
markets; develop strong media relationships and oversee media outreach.
- Maintain the College website through daily editing and coordinate redesign projects.
- Identify and lead a variety of technology projects and work with Information Technology and external partners on website development projects and initiatives.
- Report monthly website analytics, including search engine optimization and search engine marketing initiatives, and assess performance.
- Oversee College-wide social media strategy with focus on Admissions and Alumni Relations using, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
- Manage effective relationships with key vendors and partners to optimize marketing
- Monitor and administer marketing and communications budget.
- Maximize efficiency of marketing and communications operations, files, databases, archives, records, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) and 3-5 years of experience in marketing,
communications, public relations, or advertising (preferably in higher education).
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Sufficient familiarity with graphic design and advertising to direct creative staff; strong knowledge of website design and development.
- Proven experience in social media strategies including Facebook, Twitter.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; and graphic design software
including Adobe InDesign and PhotoShop.
- Proven project management experience and ability to multi-task a heavy volume of short-and long-term projects in a deadline driven environment.
- Highly organized and detail oriented with excellent follow through.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Experience directing the work of graphic artists, freelancers, and agencies.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
Annual Salary: $70,000–$75,000; Competitive benefits package including health, dental, vacation, sick, and retirement benefits.
Applications will be reviewed beginning immediately and will be accepted until an appointment is made. Candidates should submit:
- letter of interest
- current resume
- the names and contact information for three references
Electronic applications only, please. Documents should be in .doc (word) or .pdf format. Place “[Your Name], Director of Marketing & Communications” in the subject line. Attach documents to an email and send to email@example.com. Applications are kept confidential until on-campus interviews. No phone calls please.