Reports to: Director of Marketing & Communications
The Maine College of Art (MECA) Visual and Production Designer is responsible for facilitating, managing, and expanding MECA’s visual identity for print, web, and social media. The Visual and Production Designer will produce a wide range of print and digital projects while implementing content and functionality included in our overall marketing and communications standards. In addition to brand strategy development, project management, graphic and production design, the Visual and Production Designer will support MECA’s marketing and communication efforts as needed on a wide array of projects. This is a full-time, salaried position with health, dental, vacation, sick and retirement benefits.
Maine College of Art recognizes that diversity is integral to the academic experience and strives to foster an inclusive culture defined by respect, equity, and social responsibility. Successful candidates will have demonstrated experience in working with diverse populations and supporting an inclusive and equitable community. Maine College of Art does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability in hiring and employment policies and encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist with the overall management and execution of MECA’s brand and visual identity;
- Manage the design and production of all electronic materials each academic year;
- Interface effectively with vendors to request quotes, prepare files, negotiate costs, and manage production schedules;
- Collaborate on and project manage design work assignments requested by departments/directors/executives within the college;
- Develop and execute graphics for signage, brochures, booklets, presentations, posters, magazine, exhibitions or event designs;
- Maintain and organize image/art database which includes purchased stock images, hired photography and/or video assets, graphics and fonts;
- Manage requests from departments for assets from the art database when requested;
- Produce and art direct photo and video shoots with freelance photographers/videographers;
- Work with artists and/or students to secure permissions and proper attributions for select featured works;
- Hire, train, and manage hours of student workers or freelance designers as needed;
- Oversee portfolio submission process and steward portfolio.meca.edu.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a demonstrated excellence in print and web design;
- Some knowledge of WordPress site development, application installation/configuration, and content management;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Must be detail oriented and proficient in pre-press production on print files, able to clearly communicate with print vendors on printing requirements and able to use print vendors’ portals or apps to upload packaged files;
- Ability to think creatively while working in a high-pressure environment under tight deadlines with multiple workflows;
- Experience with online image optimization and best practices with UX.
Applications will be reviewed beginning immediately and will be accepted until an appointment is made. Candidates should submit a letter of interest, a current resume and contact information for three references. Electronic applications encouraged. Documents should be in .doc (Word) or .pdf format. Place “[Your Name], Graphic Designer Search” in the subject line. Attach documents to an email and send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications may be mailed to Human Resources, Maine College of Art, 522 Congress St., Portland, ME 04101. Applications are kept confidential until on-campus interviews. No phone calls, please.