MECA seeks an experienced admissions professional to join its team. Reporting to the Executive Vice President, the Director of Admissions will be responsible to direct and oversee all aspects of student recruitment for the BFA, MFA, MAT and Salt Institute for Documentary Studies programs including development of a coordinated recruitment and communication plan for prospective students and influencers. The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience with progressive enrollment management practices and will play a central role in building partnerships with art educators at high schools, colleges, and community-based visual arts programs. The successful candidate will have previous admissions experience; an understanding of financial aid practices; proven organizational, mentoring, motivational and communication skills; strong planning, implementation, and supervisory skills; and experience with a CRM platform.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Establish strategies and implements a comprehensive enrollment plan that supports and advances the College’s strategic enrollment goals.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to develop and implement innovative recruitment strategies, partnerships and admissions policies to achieve desired enrollment goals.
- Maintain positive and collaborative working relationships with all academic and student support departments, and cultivates faculty relationships and involvement in enrollment initiatives.
- Design, establish, and maintain an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the College’s goals and objectives; recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate staff.
- Management of departmental budget; perform periodic cost benefit analysis.
Minimum Competencies and Skills
- Demonstrate knowledge of current recruitment practices in higher education and trends for high schools, community colleges, and colleges and universities.
- Demonstrate excellent supervisory, communication, administrative, interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Possess excellent analytical skills; deep experience with a CRM (constituent relationship management) system, ideally Hobsons.
- A bachelor’s degree is required; master’s degree preferred. An art background and familiarity with high school and college visual art programs is desirable. Some travel required.
Maine College of Art recognizes that diversity is integral to the academic experience and strives to foster an inclusive culture defined by respect, equity and social responsibility. Successful candidates will have demonstrated experience in working with diverse populations, and supporting an inclusive and equitable community.
Maine College of Art does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, age or disability in hiring and employment policies and encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply.
Applications will be reviewed beginning immediately and will be accepted until an appointment is made. Candidates should submit:
- letter of interest
- a current resume
- the names and contact information for three references
Electronic applications encouraged. Documents should be in .doc (word) or .pdf format. Place “[Your Name], Director of Admissions Search” in the subject line. Attach documents to an email and send to email@example.com. Applications may be mailed to Human Resources, Maine College of Art, 522 Congress St., Portland, ME 04101. Applications are kept confidential until on-campus interviews. No phone calls please.
Maine College of Art is an independent college of art and design located in the center of the thriving arts district of Portland, Maine. Established in 1882, the College currently enrolls approximately 500 students, the majority of whom are in the undergraduate program. About 1,200 students take classes through MECA’s Continuing Studies Program annually. MECA’s Institute of Contemporary Art serves a critical regional role in its commitment to presenting contemporary, provocative work by living artists from Maine and around the globe. The Joanne Waxman Library is one of the largest independent libraries in Northern New England.
MECA is characterized by its intimate learning community, its interdisciplinary nature and the breadth of its programs. It confers the degrees of Bachelor of Fine Arts in eleven majors, Master of Fine Arts in Studio Art, Master of Arts in Teaching, and the Salt Graduate Certificate in Documentary Studies. Our goal at MECA is to teach each student how to transform aspirations and values into a creative practice that serves as the foundation for a lifelong pursuit of personal and professional goals.
Maine College of Art is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) and the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD). The College’s accreditation status with both agencies was renewed in 2016.