ART SALE: October 8-11, 2014
MECA's Artists at Work Space
Please join us for MECA's 2014 Fall Art Sale
featuring the work of MECA faculty, students,
alumni, and others.
This event benefits MECA's scholarship fund
and participating artists.
Admission is free.
Wednesday, October 8, 2014
Invitational Preview , 6-9pm
Thursday, October 9, 2014
Open to Public, 10am-8pm
Friday, October 10, 2014
Open to Public, 10am-8pm
Saturday, October 11, 2014
Open to Public, 10am-8pm
Further information available at firstname.lastname@example.org or 207-775-5098.
We are now accepting applications to participate in the 2014 sale.
Please carefully review the guidelines and FAQ below BEFORE registering through the Online Participation Form.
Work that does not meet the guidelines will not be accepted. We will contact you in August to confirm your participation and obtain the specific details of your submissions.
One to five works in any media priced by the artists will be sold to benefit MECA's Scholarship Fund, with 50% commission or full donation options.
Participation is open to:
- BFA Juniors and Seniors
- ArtEd and MFA students
- MECA alumni
- MECA current and former faculty
- MECA staff
- Continuing Studies students enrolled between January 1, 2013 to current.
- Artists who participated in the MECA Art Auctions 2008-2011
- MECA Visiting Artists
- MECA Residency Participants
Art Sale, Drop-Off and Pick-Up all take place at
MECA's Artists at Work space
522 Congress St, Portland, ME 04101
Important Dates for Contributing Artists:
Deadline to Participate
August 1, 2014
Artwork Drop-off Date
Thursday, October 2, 2014, 8am-6pm
Saturday, October 4, 2014 10am-4pm
Art Sale, October 8-11, 201
Wednesday, October 8, 2014, 6-9pm (Invitational Preview)
Thursday,October 9, 2014, 10am-8pm
Friday, October 10, 2014, 10am-8pm
Saturday, October 11, 2014, 10am-8pm
Pick-up Unsold Work
Sunday, October 12, 2014, Noon-5pm
Monday, October 13, 2014, Noon-6pm
Work that does not follow these guidelines will not be accepted.
- Each artist may enter up to FIVE PIECES in any media. Due to space limitations, work over six feet in any direction cannot be accepted.
- Each artist must submit a signed Artwork Release Form at drop-off.
- Artwork that has not been pre-registered will not be accepted. Early registration is highly encouraged due to volume.
- Work must be dropped-off during the posted drop-off times. No exceptions.
- Maine College of Art reserves the right to refuse any work that is damaged, deemed too fragile or hazardous to display, or is too large to properly store. Due to space limitations, work over six feet in any direction cannot be accepted. Work intended for hanging must be properly framed and wired.
- Work not picked up by 5pm on October 31, may be considered the property of Maine College of Art.
- MECA is allowing artists to ship their work for inclusion in the 2014 Art Sale. All artists who ship must follow the guidelines stated below. Any work that does not adhere to the guidelines will not be accepted.
- Only deliveries through FedEx and UPS will be accepted.
- The shipper is responsible for shipping fees. FedEx (http://www.fedex.com/us/return-solutions/how-to-create-a-label/) offers a service through which you can create and print a return label, with no charges assessed until the label is used. UPS offers a similar service (http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/time/service/value_added/returns.html) through which a prepaid return label is good for 100 days.
- It is the shipper’s responsibility to make sure the item is correctly packed with sufficient insurance. Each shipment must include appropriate unpacking and handling instructions. MECA will not be held responsible for insufficiently insured items which arrive damaged either to or from MECA.
- Work must be received by MECA between October 2-October 4 , 2014 ONLY:
MECA Art Sale
Maine College of Art
522 Congress St
Portland, ME 04101
Artwork Release Form
Each artist must sign an Artwork Release Form at the drop-off. If you are having a third party drop off your work, or are shipping your work, we will email the form to you in advance or you can print it out below.
If you have additional questions, contact us at email@example.com or 207-775-5098.
Preparing Your Work
Because work will be moved and may be restocked throughout the four days of the sale, you must review the following guidelines for preparation. Although we cannot accept work that is overly fragile, surfaces may be covered with clear plastic. We must be able to see the work clearly at all times in order to display it.
UNFRAMED WORK ON PAPER:
- We encourage you to have your work professionally shrink-wrapped or enclosed in a clear, sealed plastic sleeve.
- Foam core or card stock should be used as backing.
HANGING WORK (2-D):
- We cannot accept clip frames — all wall-hanging work needs to be appropriately wired.
- Please provide specific instructions for any work that may require special installation.
What work should I submit?
We highly encourage you to submit your most recent and best work. MECA accepts all media with the exception of extremely fragile work, as noted in the guidelines. All work intended for hanging must be properly framed and/or wired. All work, such as oil paintings, must be dry.
How do I price my work?
All works are priced by the artist. Please contact us if you would like assistance with pricing and/or visit How to Price Art from ArtBusiness.com or How to Price Your Art from Found Myself Art.
What if I am currently represented by a gallery?
It is the responsibility of the artist to work with any galleries who represent you regarding their rules for participation in additional art sales.
What if I can't make it to the drop-off/pick-up days?
Artists are allowed to have someone else drop off and pick up their work. You or your drop-off person must bring the Artwork Release Form. Please note that a social security number or valid tax ID number is required on all Artwork Release Forms, without which MECA cannot process payment. Works will not be allowed to be dropped off without an Artwork Release Form.
How do I know if my work has sold?
Unfortunately we do not have the capacity to contact each artist with the results of the sale. We will email you immediately after the sale if you DO NOT need to pick up any unsold work. If you DO NOT receive an email from us, plan to pick up work during the scheduled pick-up times.
When should I expect my check?
You should expect to receive a check approximately 30 days after the pick up period ends. All checks will be mailed to the address provided on your Participation Form.
Do I have to pay taxes on what I sell?
By participating in the Maine College of Art sale, you are offering your work on a fee basis rather than as an employee of MECA. All artists are obligated to pay all income, social security, Medicare and any other statutory-mandated taxes required by Federal and State laws that apply to the self-employed for any amount paid to them for the sale of their work.
Is my donation tax deductible?
Maine College of Art is a (501) (C3) nonprofit organization and therefore your contribution may be tax deductible. Please note that the IRS laws governing artists donating art are complex regarding how to determine the value of the deduction. Please always consult your tax advisor first if you have questions about your own personal tax situation.
We are grateful to the following businesses for their vital support: