MECA Timeline 1882-2011
1882: Founded as part of the Portland Society of Art
1911: First organized curriculum
1914: Acquired Charles Q. Clapp House at 97 Spring Street
1917: First certificates awarded for two years of study1920’s: First diplomas awarded by School of Fine & Applied Arts
1924: First diplomas awarded for 4 years of study
1934: Named changed to School of Fine and Applied Arts
1972: Name changed to Portland School of Art
1973: NASAD accreditation received
1975: First BFA degrees awarded
1978: NEASC accreditation received
1981: Baxter Building acquired1982: School separated from Portland Society of Art
1982: School separated from Portland Society of Art
1992: Name changed to Maine College of Art
1993: Porteous Mitchell & Braun department store building purchased
1996: 4th and 5th floors of Porteous Building completed
1997: Institute of Contemporary Art at MECA opened in Porteous Building, 1st floor of Porteous completed
1998: MFA in Studio Arts program launched
2001: Joanne Waxman Library relocated to 2nd floor of Porteous Building and New Media department created
2004: Illustration and Woodworking & Furniture Design majors established. Post-Baccalaureate in Arts Education established.
2005: Secured Oak Street Residence Hall
2006: Secured Shepley Street Residence Hall
2008: Clapp House sold to Portland Museum of Art. Admissions Center, Cafe and Administrative Center constructed.
2009: Sale of Baxter Building. Osher Hall constructed.
2010: Photography Department relocates to Porteous Building, marking the completion of a vision to have all academic, administrative and studio facilities under one roof.
2011: Construction of Karu Media Center on third floor. Public Engagement added as a minor.